Frequently Asked Questions (and Answers to them), by topic:



Q: What kinds of volunteering activities are available? (I want to volunteer, but I’m not sure how I can help.)
A: Thank you! During election campaigns, everyone’s support is appreciated and everyone can do something  helpful.

Between election campaigns, we are always looking for volunteers to help with planning and hosting periodic Green events.

Consider joining our EDA Executive Committee. It is always busy, benefits from a wide variety of experience, and often has openings.

To volunteer, please click here and complete the online form. After you sign up, someone will contact you with further information.



Q: What are the ways I can donate?
A: You can make one or more individual donations, or regular monthly donations. You have options (sorry, debit cards cannot be used):

  1.  Donate online by credit card. This is easiest for small amounts. The national office issues your tax receipt and keeps a small percentage to cover costs. This saves our local volunteers considerable time.
  2. Donate by cheque payable to “SGI Green Party” and mail it to:
SGI Green Party
PO Box 20076
Beacon Ave PO
Sidney, BC
V8L 5V9

Local voIunteers issue your tax receipt, and all of your donation stays in the EDA.
Important: Provide the following information for your tax receipt (and as required by Elections Canada).

      • First Name
      • Last Name
      • Home address

Q: What is the maximum that I can donate?
A: $1650 to the local EDA and candidate, plus $1650 to the national party. (These limits, set by Elections Canada, are for 2021 and increase $25 each year.)
If you wish to donate more than $1650, please Contact Us. (Thank you! It gets a little tricky, and we want to make sure you get the tax credits you deserve. Online donations to the EDA go through the national office and are therefore treated for tax purposes as donations to the national party. To maximize tax credits and avoid over-contribution to the national party, it is therefore essential to make donations for the EDA directly to the EDA by cheque or e-transfer.)

Q: Do I get something back on my taxes?
A: Yes, federal political contributions are eligible for a substantial income tax credit. (Provincial political contributions are too, and are calculated separately.) In effect, the government pays you to support the federal and provincial Greens!

Q: When will I get my official tax receipt for my donation?
A: Tax receipts are mailed out in February of the year following the year in which the donations were made.

Q: How much is my tax credit for my donation?
A: Submit your tax receipt with your income tax return for the year you donated, and you will receive a tax credit for 75% of the first $400 donated, 50% of any amount between $400 and $750, and 33.33% of amounts over $750, to a maximum credit of $650 (for a donation of $1275 or more).
So, a $400 donation costs you only $100; a donation of $1650 costs you $1000:

Your Donation Your Tax Credit Your Cost After Tax Credit
$20.00 $15.00 $5.00
$100.00 $75.00 $25.00
$400.00 $300.00 $100.00
$750.00 $475.00 $275.00
$1650.00 (maximum) $650.00 $1000.00
Your Monthly Donation Your Annual Donation Your Tax      Credit Your Annual Cost AFTER Tax Credit
$10.00 $120.00 $90.00 $30.00 (a coffee per month)
 $20.00 $240.00 $180.00 $60.00
 $50.00 $600.00 $400.00 $200.00
 $100.00 $1200.00 $625.00 $575.00
$135.00 $1620.00 $650.00 $970.00

Q: How can couples/partners on one budget make the best use of tax credits?
A: Your budget can “go further” if both partners donate, rather than just one. For example, if your budget allows for an after-tax expense of $200 for donations to the Greens, one partner could donate $600 and get a $400 tax credit, or both partners could each donate $400 and each get a $300 tax credit. The after-tax cost is $200 in both cases, but the Greens get $200 more if both donate!

Q: How are donations used?
A: Donations to the EDA are used for special events that the EDA hosts, election campaign expenses (e.g., signs, advertising) and routine office expenses like postage and telephone. The EDA may sometimes hire professionals, e.g., to help with communications. Donations to the Green Party of Canada are used for running and staffing the national party office, and supporting EDAs nationwide.

Q: How do I update my credit card expiry date or use a different credit card for my monthly donation?
A: Please call 1-866-868-3447 to set up a new donation with your new card information.

Q: How do I cancel my automatic monthly credit card donation?
A: Please email admin@greenparty.ca or call 1-866-868-3447 to cancel your donation. (If your credit card has expired or been cancelled, there is no need to call us, as your donations will automatically be cancelled by your credit card company.)



Q: How do I become a member of the Electoral District Association?
A: You need to (1) be a member of the Green Party of Canada (GPC) and, (2) live within the boundaries of the electoral district.

Please click on Join Us! under the menu’s Take Action! and complete the online form to sign up online.

A nominal donation (eligible for an income tax credit) is required when you sign up to become a member. Signing up for a monthly donation with your membership is the most effective way to support the GPC. Alternatively you can sign up for a one-year membership with a donation of $10 or more, or a three-year membership with a donation of $25 or more.

Provided you live in the electoral district, you automatically become a member of the local electoral district association when you sign up to become a member of the GPC.

After signing up for membership, be sure to also register a user account on the GPC website (with your own username and password) to get access to members-only pages.

Q: How can I check if I’m a member or when my membership expires?
A: Log in to your user account on the GPC website. (If you can’t remember your password, you can request a new password.)

Q: What are the advantages of membership?
A: Green Party membership gives you more than a warm feeling inside:

  • Participate in the Electoral District Association and vote to help to choose your next Green Party candidate to become a Member of Parliament
  • Influence Green Party policy development at national and local levels
  • Vote in Green Party elections at national and local levels
  • Keep up to date with Green Party activities at both national and local levels
  • Get access to member-only pages on the GPC website


Green Party Policy and Platform

Q: Where can I find the Green Party position on __________(e.g., housing)?
A: Our Vision and the Election Platform 2021 on the Green Party of Canada website provide overviews of Green Party aspirations on many topics. For more detailed discussion, Vision Green 2020 provides a comprehensive compilation of issues and what Green MPs will do to address them, based on Green Party policies, as of January 2020.  If you have a specific question not covered by these sources, please send an email to: info@greenparty.ca.